Friday, May 15, 2009

Birthdays are suppose to be FUN

using this image to try to calm down!!

Good morning!! I took the day off work to enjoy myself; it's my 28th birthday!! Over the last 4 months I have worked twelve hour days. I taught from 7:30 to nearly 4 and then went to the nursing home until 7 or a little after every night. This went on Monday through Friday for 16 straight weeks. Last week I started back at the nursing home FULL TIME. I've been overwhelmed, stressed out, and thin on patience. I know that job just isn't for me anymore. I love the residents but the stress and depressing atmosphere will take a toll. So, I decided that I really needed a much needed day of rest and pampering!!

I decided to take a personal day today. My plan was to sleep in until around 9, take a shower, visit my friend Julie, eat lunch with mom, then get a pedicure. WEll, the phone rang at 7:45. My mom accidentally left the back gate opened and her jack russells escaped. One of them, Molly, is a sweet girl, and returned when she was called. Dolly, is hard-headed, she took off. So, Mom wanted me to come help her find her because she had to go to work. Talk about one ill Birthday GIRL!! So i threw on some shorts, and ladies thank goodness a bra, brushed my teeth and out the door I went.

Mom was gone by the time I got there. I yelled and yelled for Dolly. Nothing.... So I thought I would try to drive to find her. Well, I went to get in my car and it would not crank. My car is only 5 years old. UGH. I figured it was the battery (it left me stranded about 6 mths ago). So, I called my mom and told her Dolly would just have to come on her own cause I couldn't drive to find her. I walked to the top of the drive-way and there she was. She came running. So i rescued her and then........ called Michael to rescue me.

He came jumped the car off and had me follow him to the parts store (or so we thought). We got about two miles from my parents and he called my cell, "Amy, just follow me to the maintenance shop." I knew something else was wrong. Apparently at this time the "check engine" light was on! We we got about a mile down the road and the car went dead. Thankfully we were in front of a dr.'s office and Michael had just enough speed to get the car in the parking lot and into the first spot. He said the car went dead, all the check lights came on, and it started clicking. We just new it was the alternator. The window would not go up!!! So we drove a block over to the nearest maintenance shop. The guy came, they jumped it off, and we quickly drove to the nearest parts store (not one we usually choose to use). Eighty dollars later it was a dead cell in the battery!!! I'm so thankful it wasn't the alternator.. that would have been a terrible b-day present... or maybe not. I was thinking about what car I was going to trade my car for! LOL!





So, now I'm going to shower and try to enjoy my day. Hopefully everything but the sleeping in will still happen. Maybe a nap is in my future for the afternoon!!




5 Sweet Notes:

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday! I hope your day gets better!

BK said...

Sometimes things just don't go like we planned, eh? Happy birthday though!!! I'll be sending good birthday vibes to you for the rest of the day! ;-)

Meg said...

Happy Birthday!!!! I've had a bday like that once, everywhere I turned, it went wrong. But I still remember it, sometimes more than my other birthdays. Hope tonight is MUCH better for you! Have a giant slice of cake to make it better..

Madison Sanders said...

I hate that your b-day started off on the wrong foot, but the afternoon should be lots better!

Happy Birthday!

Robyn Beele said...

I am glad the rest of the day was better!